Saturday, May 26, 2018

THE BLUES AND THE GULF BREEZE FLOW THROUGH THE HALF MOON SALOON FRIDAY NIGHT

Emilio Crixell y Los Bluzanos at Half Moon Saloon 

Had Nena been with me last Friday night, the world would have a video of Juan Montoya of El Rrun Rrun performing a karaoke version of Elvis Presley's "Suspicious Minds" at Brownsville's Palm Lounge.  But, I didn't even have the presence of mind to take a pic, instead sitting on my bar stool mesmerized as Juan mimicked  every Elvis nuance.

So, last night, with harmonicanist Henry Hawk sitting next to Juan at the Half Moon Saloon bar, I took a shot at redemption.

"Henry, did you know that Juan does a great version of Elvis' 'Suspicious Minds?'" I asked.

Juan was already shaking his head "No!" to performing on stage with Los Bluzanos.  I tried.

An old friend and I stayed through three short sets by the Brownsville blues band, even a requested rendition of B. B. King's "Night Life."

Owner George Ramirez came by our table to shake hands, also asking if we thought the room was a little "cold."  

In a few seconds, George turned off the AC and let the Gulf breeze do its thing, opening those green shuttered doors of the old Miguel Fernandez Hide Yard Building.  That's what was called flo-thru ventilation on my '59 VW bug.

No comments:

Post a Comment