Sunday, September 3, 2023

RED HORSE, THE PHILIPPINES' "EXTRA STRONG" BREW

 


Filipinos seem to be wary of Red Horse Beer, as if it has mystical qualities making it more dangerous, more intoxicating than average brew.

When I question that viewpoint, Ana counters with:  "Do you remember that night at my house when you drank Red Horse and talked so loud and were laughing like crazy?"

"Well, yes, sort of, but was I really that loud?" I respond.

"Yes, you were."

So, when in the Philippines, just on principle, I always order Red Horse, even though San Miguel is a superior beer.

One time in Cagayan de Oro, Ana and I were taking a walk through a pineapple field when we encountered a group of inebriated men who wanted us to join them.

With zero intention to offend, I politely declined, letting the men know that we had Red Horse waiting for us back at the house.  The men broke into smiles, giving us the "thumbs up" sign.

Red Horse, indeed, has mystical powers.

No comments:

Post a Comment