Wednesday, September 6, 2023

DEION SANDERS EXPLAINS WHY HE USED TO HIGH STEP AT MIDFIELD, LOOKING BACK AT HIS OPPONENT

 


Those of us of a "certain age" remember.

If you happened to walk by the TV screen during a Cowboys game in that Super Bowl era and the other team was punting, you stood at attention.

There was an absolute electricity with Deion Sanders returning punts.

Anything could happen and there was a distinct possibility that, in the immortal words of Howard Cosell, he "COULD-GO-ALL-THE-WAY!!"

Yet, Sanders had a certain personal code.

Trash-talking your opponent?

“I never believed in it,” he has said.

 “I would never down my opponent. He worked too hard to be where he is for me to be talking negatively about him.”

Instead, Sanders would talk his talk through the media. He let them do his talking for him.

However, Sanders would look back at his opponents while high-stepping, sometimes as early as midfield. There was a reason for that.

“I wanted to see when he quit,” Sanders said.

“That’s why I looked back at him. When you exude dominance, there is a level of dominance that makes your opponent quit.”


No comments:

Post a Comment