Saturday, June 15, 2019

A MEMORABLE DAY WITH GRANDSON JACK~HOW MANY MORE WILL THERE BE?

Jack and Tiffany
The plan was to meet at Portway Acres Park.  

I arrived first, but, in a couple minutes, my son, Diego Lee Rot, his girlfriend Isela, her niece Tiffany and grandson Jack pulled up.

Jack and I took off for downtown with George Ramirez's KXIQ 105.1 on the radio, a delta blues song playing.

"How important is music to you?" I asked.

"Without music there is no life," responded grandson Jack, not trying to sound profound, just Jack being Jack.(No joke.  I remembered his dad, as a teenager, wearing out the 3 record set, All Things Must Pass by George Harrison in his bedroom.)


Jack and Sean on .50 per lb. "Monton"
I was taking Jack downtown to see his friend Sean, whose mother owns D Laura's next to Rutledge Hamburger.(When I took Laura Miniel there Tuesday, Sean had asked "where's my friend?" and we negotiated a reunion for Thursday.)

I walked outside, leaving Jack and Sean on the large stack of clothes in a secondary room, 50 cents per pound on Mondays, 75 cents the rest of the week.(For those unfamiliar with ropa segunda practice, clothes on the monton are simply items that didn't sell for one reason or another. Many great bargains can be found there.)

The boys had about 45 minutes together, gaming, talking and horseplaying.  Hearing some racket, I checked on them and found them wrestling in a bin of baby clothes.  They didn't need to be told to get out of the bin.  They just did.

"Jack, we need to go to the City Secretary's office," I explained.  

"I need to fill out a form to make a public comment tonight.  We'll go to the pool after this."

I took a power nap after swimming.  Jack watched YouTube videos on my laptop.

By the time we got to the City Commission chambers, the commission was already in Executive Session.  We chatted for a while with Pastor Brad Burke.


I picked up an agenda.  So did Jack.  When I was called for Public Comment, Jack went with me, not something we'd talked about beforehand.

"Jack, I'm just so proud of you.  I love the way you handle yourself," I told my grandson as I dropped him off.

"I love you too Grandpa," he replied.  



No comments:

Post a Comment