Friday, September 22, 2023

𝗧𝗨𝗥𝗡𝗜𝗡𝗚 𝗬𝗢𝗨𝗥 𝗛𝗢𝗨𝗦𝗘 𝗜𝗡𝗧𝗢 𝗔 𝗕𝗥𝗘𝗪𝗘𝗥𝗬

 

Our home for 30 years on Scenic Hill, briefly a "brewery"

Before microbreweries, homebreweries were the rage and I was deeply into that scene in the mid-80's, had several books on beermaking around, spent a couple three hundred on equipment and always had five gallons working.

Beermaking is really just following a recipe, cooking with a kettle of steaming suds on the stove and equipment everywhere.  I always knew to leave the kitchen not one whit messier than I'd found it or Nena would have thrown everything  out in a heartbeat.

And, then, the problem of where to store a five gallon bottle of brew working.  The garage was too cool and would stifle, stymie and squelch fermentation, so I snuck the thing into my clothes closet and left it alone for three weeks.

The five gallon glass bottle had a fermentation "lock" on top that allowed CO2 to be released without allowing the mixture to come into contact with air.

Once fermentation stops, the product needs filtering, then bottling and finally, capping.

Finding glass bottles that could be capped was a challenge even back then.  Initially, I bought a couple cases of returnables from the Stag Brewery, but found working with 12 oz bottle tedious. (Remember Stag's environment-friendly commercials of the 70's~"A nice idea from Stag?" No, you don't.)

Then Michelob and Corona came out with 22 oz returnables and I happily went with that, settling on the Corona bottles.

The recipe I'd decided on was for a Porter Stout, but using hops from Washington State nostalgically.

One batch was ruined when I foolishly increased the dextrose attempting to raise the alcohol content.  Never did that again!

Once bottled and capped, I allowed the product to "rest" for about 30 days before sharing with friends and coworkers in Arkansas, then, on a trip to Brownsville, I loaded up my car with 22 oz beer.

I remember sharing product with my brother Tim and at least two sisters-in-law, but I don't remember any feedback.  

Perhaps, that lack of response and the "clutter" issue in the garage led to ceasing operations that year.

On my next annual visit to Brownsville, a sister-in-law met us at the door.

"Where's my beer?" she asked.

"I didn't think anyone liked it," was what I think I said.

"Oh, my God! That was the BEST beer I've ever tasted.  I've actually been "tasting" it in my head knowing you guys were on your way down here!  You HAVE to make it again!  I insist!"

Oh well.  I wish I'd have known.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a small house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It served us well for many years, has a huge, fenced in back yard. Nena planted St. Augustine in the front yard, working between midnight and 6 AM in 1980 during a drought and day water use ban. The shorter of the two hedges in front is Japanese Yew and supposed to be much shorter than that for contrast with the back hedge. I regret selling that house.

      Delete

𝗕𝗜𝗗𝗘𝗡'𝗦 𝗣𝗢𝗢𝗥 𝗖𝗢𝗠𝗠𝗨𝗡𝗜𝗖𝗔𝗧𝗜𝗢𝗡 𝗦𝗞𝗜𝗟𝗟𝗦 𝗢𝗕𝗦𝗖𝗨𝗥𝗘 𝗔𝗡 𝗘𝗙𝗙𝗘𝗖𝗧𝗜𝗩𝗘 𝗣𝗥𝗘𝗦𝗜𝗗𝗘𝗡𝗖𝗬

I tuned in to last night's debate for the first two or three minutes, then clicked the remote back to YouTube as I'd seen enough.  ...