Monday, July 3, 2023

CAN A SOCIAL LIBERAL IN GOOD CONSCIENCE BUY A SANDWICH FROM CHICK-FIL-A?

 


I've spent much of today reading about Chick-fil-A's struggles appeasing the LGBTQ community, well, actually now the LGBTQIA+ group.

Back in 2012, Chick-fil-A CEO Dan Cathy made statements limiting marriage to "one man, one woman," likely being brought up like me in a fundamentalist religion.

Over the last decade, financial pressures have caused the chicken sandwich giant to moderate its position on same-sex marriage, eventually curtailing millions of dollars of contributions the company had been making to thinly-veiled anti-LGBTQ groups.  

OK!  Money talks!


Whatever the motivation, I can't actually fault Chick-fil-A, because I've made similar adjustments in viewpoint over the years, although no financial risk to my already modest income presented itself.

Anyway, I think a woman who works for Chick-fil-A said it best:

"Is Chick-fil-A anti-LGBT?

Oh pleeeeeaaaaaseeeee.

When I worked at chick-fil-a, one of my coworkers was a lesbian. And you know what? It took me a good six months of working there before I figured it out.

You know why?

BECAUSE. NOBODY. CARED.

She did her job and the rest of us couldn't really care less who she was interested in.

As far as customers?

We served the young, the old, the rich, poor, black, white, brown, gays, straights, locals, foreigners, ugly, pretty, kind old ladies, the asinine and the obscene, and just about everything in between.

If you had a shirt on your back and money in your pocket, we served you.

Nobody behind the counter cared who you slept with, in the same way that none of us really cared what Mr. Cathy spent his money on.

It wasn't important."

No comments:

Post a Comment

𝗪𝗜𝗟𝗟𝗜𝗘 𝗡𝗘𝗟𝗦𝗢𝗡 𝗘𝗡𝗗𝗢𝗥𝗦𝗘𝗦 𝗞𝗔𝗠𝗔𝗟𝗔 𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗥𝗜𝗦-𝗧𝗜𝗠 𝗪𝗔𝗟𝗭. . . . 𝗠𝗔𝗚𝗔 𝗡𝗢𝗧 𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗣𝗬!

From the editor: The formerly red-headed stranger endorsed the Harris-Walz ticket recently.  As noted by the comments below, many in MAGA wo...