Monday, August 6, 2018

MORE IMPRESSIONS OF THE REPUBLICAN AND DEMOCRAT MEETINGS AS THEY FOCUS ON COUNTY JUDGE RACE

Political operative Mario Saenz and
Cameron County Judge Eddie Trevino
Kip Thrasher, a close high school friend, told me over half century ago:  "Jim, you see through people.  That's why some avoid you.  You see right through them."

Kip and his very buxom girlfriend, died one day after graduation, when his MG crossed the center line on the Old Benson Highway between Kent and Renton.  I didn't see THAT coming.

Intuitive or not, I got distinctly different impressions of the relationship between county party regulars and their respective candidates for county judge.


Carlos Cascos
While Cameron County Democrats support Eddie Trevino, County Republicans revere  Carlos Cascos.

Actually, both groups treated me warmly, even as an outsider who might write unpleasant things.  One Republican lady, who appeared older than me, absolutely demanded I take a seat while she remained standing.  At the Democrat event, light, jocular banter, much of it driven by the loquacious Jeff Duvall, filled out the time as we waited for County Chair Jared Hockema, always fashionably late to events.

Prior to the Democrat meeting at Pepe's Mexican Restaurant, every candidate for constable, BISD trustee or whatever, worked the tables, shaking each hand, all but County Judge Trevino, who simply took a seat.  

County Republicans are making an issue over the fact that while Cascos is reaching across party lines for support, Trevino is trying to control his base, insisting no Democrats cross party lines to vote for Cascos.

Note how Cascos addressed this issue on Facebook:


"Having received numerous calls & messages from people in attendance & some democrat precinct chairs about a meeting that took place Saturday regarding my opponents comments..."if you're voting for my opponent, you have no business being here"....well, that's just wrong. 

When I have addressed Republican groups, I say, don't vote for me or against me because I'm running as a Republican, but rather vote for the candidate that you believe can best represent Cameron County, your philosophy & values. 

My opponent will receive votes from Republicans, just like I will receive votes from Democrats & that's ok...it shows that voters are thinking & not just voting straight ticket, which is what I believe is the right thing to do. 

By the way, straight ticket voting goes away in 2020. Again, I ask for your support in November. 

Thanks."

Duh!!!!  Cascos has to get Democrat votes to win, while Trevino wins with near 100% party loyalty.

8 comments:

  1. Democrats will come out and vote La Palanca. Cascos’s nightmare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Republicans are a Cascos fanboy echo chamber. Cascos only wrote that Facebook post because of Jim’s reporting. Cascos doesn’t mention the blog or credit Jim. Why?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you really think Jim and others can’t see through what you’re trying to do? Lulz

      Delete
  3. Like always WRONG no palanca anymore it’s been done away with , ha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a democrat voting for Cascos

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely believe that which you said. Your favorite reason seemed to be on the net the easiest thing to be
    aware of. I say to you, I certainly get annoyed while people consider worries that they just don't know about.
    You managed to hit the nail upon the top and defined out the whole thing
    without having side effect , people can take a signal.
    Will probably be back to get more. Thanks

    ReplyDelete