Saturday, September 7, 2019

ANA AND I MAKE IT BACK FOR THE PODCAST AND ANA'S "APPOINTMENT"



Yes, it was an admittedly grueling 1-1/2 day, 768 mile commute between Brownsville and Houston's George Bush International Airport, including a 2:00 AM arrival Friday morning, a few hours of  rest at the motel, then back on the road.

The sorghum and cotton fields along Highway 59 reminded Ana of her childhood in the Bukidnon province, which also happens to be the rodeo capital of the Philippines.  Maybe that's why we tried on matching cowboy hats in Sinton, before deciding against the purchase.


"I have an appointment tomorrow," Ana told me on the ride back. 

After making me guess for a few minutes, my fiancΓ©e admitted her "appointment" was a personal decision to go see my mom first thing.

At the nursing facility, Ana was euphoric, feeling she'd broken throught dementia enough to get a smile from my mom.

"How are you momma?" she kept asking.

"I'm with Jim."


Saul Del Angel
After tomorrow's Whine with Cheez podcast, featuring Saul del Angel's work with autistic kids, Ana wants me to take her to the Immaculate Conception Cathedral on East 12th Street.

I'm guessing she wants to thank someone, but that's a private conversation and I will not eavesdrop.



3 comments:

  1. Welcome Ana to South Texas !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After a few hours of rest at a hotel...I guess that's one way of putting it. I have been known to go a few days without sleep, but that's another matter. Here's to the happiness of both of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

      Delete