Tuesday, July 9, 2019

ARE ALL OF THE CITY'S ADVISORY BOARDS GOING TO HELL?


After my week-long hiatus poring over immigration documents, I ventured out today to observe the Main Street Advisory Board, posted at City Hall for a 5:30 PM meeting July 9 at Terra's Bar and Grill, 915 E. Elizabeth Street.

It would be my first trek back into the world of City of Brownsville advisory boards since June 21 when not a single member of the Greater Brownsville Incentives Corporation, save the chairman, Steve Guerra, bothered to show up.  

Easily, $1,000,000 of annually taxpayer-salaried people were there, but not a single damn board member.  Sometimes, I think I'm the only person in town who gives a shit about these advisory boards.

Anyway, back to the Main Street Advisory Board, obviously not at Terra's at 5:30, as posted since "July 3" in a document signed by City Secretary Griselda Rosas, but Terra's manager redirected me to the City Commission Chambers.


Assistant City Manager
Michael Lopez
It was in the hallway on my way to the chambers that I ran into City Manager Noel Bernal and Assistant City Manager Michael Lopez, who both started fumbling with their phones to find out what happened to the scheduled Main Street Advisory Board meeting.  

"It was held at noon as a lunch meeting," Lopez offered, then changed that to "3:30 to 5," until I showed him my screen shot of the agenda posting "5:30 PM July 9 at Terra's."

"I think it's at the Blue Room at City Plaza," the Assistant City Manager guessed.

Lopez made another call.

"I think it may have been cancelled," he explained, likely knowing that a cancellation has to be also posted.

A few minutes later, Lopez met me at the small entrance cubicle where city board meetings are posted.  I showed him the posting.

"Thanks for bringing this to our attention," Lopez told me.

Driving home, I told fiancΓ©e  Ana:  "Sometimes I feel like the only adult in this town."  

5 comments:

  1. Comes to show the Planning Department has no idea what they're doing and that Michael Lopez and Noel Bernal are just letting the inmates run the asylum. Let's not forget Michael used to be City Secretary, he knows all legal requirements for these notices!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is Trey a member of this advisory board?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's Trump's fault. Impeach him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is Lopez needed for, exactly?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Barton, do you know what happened at the planning department? Looks like Constanza Miner is no longer Director!

    ReplyDelete