Saturday, July 7, 2018

THE CONTINUING EDUCATION OF GRANDPA~MINECRAFT, CULTS, BLUESMEN

Diego Lee Rot
My son, Diego Lee Rot, asserts that I've lost intelligence over the years.

"You were much smarter twenty years ago.  Now, you've sort of lost it.  It happens to everyone."

Grandson Jack also wants to be my mentor, bringing me up to speed on Windows 10, Minecraft and all the latest stuff on internet games.  I feign interest.


Grandson Jack
"Let me show you what I did on Minecraft," Jack continues.  He opens the screen to a drum machine he designed with an actual drum loop.  I listen, impressed, but not needing to hear the loop played again and again.

Jack and I go through our two hour home school session; grammar, reading comprehension, math.  Jack takes too much time writing his answers, wanting his cursive to be perfect, wearing out the eraser on his pencil.

"Jack, don't worry so much about your writing.  They don't even teach cursive at BISD.  Just finish!" I admonish, getting ready to go home and braise a chicken breast.

Diego is playing a video from YouTube.

"Dad, do you even know who R.L. Burnside is?" he asks.

"Yes, he's an old blues man.  I've heard of him," I answer.

"But, I'm sure you've never heard his cover of Dylan's 'Everything Is Broken!" Diego continues.

"I'll check it out when I get home," I respond.

"Dad, what do you remember about Bhagwan and Sheela?  They set up an ashram in Oregon in the 80's. Come watch this documentary with me on Netflix."

The documentary, "Wild Wild Country," lasts about three hours.  I'm mesmerized.  

Yes, there are gaps in my education.


6 comments:

  1. Grief does that to memory too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel sorry for that kid. He needs some real men in his life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diego needs to get a job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diego is gainfully employed unlike a certain out-of-town narcissist.

      Delete
    2. You mean Jerry McHale? And why the anger, Jim? Does Diego work? Where? Don't get mad, answer the guy's question.

      Delete
    3. No Duardo. Jerry just wrapped up a career. You're the "journalist" no one wanted to hire.

      Delete