Tuesday, July 10, 2018

NENA'S FIRST DATE WITH A SEATTLE LOSER

After Nena's army stint(1963-66), she worked at Model Laundry on Elizabeth Street as a secretary.  We were well aware of each other, but I was shocked one day when she handed me the gift of a  tie tack you can see in the picture at the left taken over 50 years ago.

One day we found ourselves alone at my mom's house on the resaca on Hackberry Lane.  I had made coffee, not in a Mr. Coffee, but in the stainless steel percolaters we used back then. 

Three hours later, Nena and I had consumed all eight cups from the percolater, just talking.

Talking.  That's something Nena and I always had.  I've known several brilliant people in my life, but none whose opinion I valued more than hers.  She had an intuitive skill to cut through the bull shit.

When later I asked Nena to go with me to lunch at Papagayos in Matamoros, she wanted to know:  "What does this mean?"

I didn't answer, but she went anyway.

I always ordered bistec con papas fritas at Papagayos for 8 pesos, 64 cents.  With the meal you got a stack of tortillas and a side dish of beans.  A Bohemia from the refrigerated case was another 4 pesos, 32 cents.  

7 comments:

  1. Nena was beautiful inside and out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So how did you end up in Brownsville, Jim?

    ReplyDelete
  3. By now your EspaΓ±ol should be better than mine Jim.

    ReplyDelete
  4. [We were well aware of each other...] cmon barton, what the hell is that? some kind of native courtship ritual? did you have to take off your shirt and paint red stripes on your belly and dance clockwise with the single men at a despedida while she ululated longingly on the outer female ring, dancing counterclockwise in a violent, hopping stomp that coughed up dust from the old floorboards as her hdf anklets strapped around...where else? her ankles rattled ecstatically to the beat of an Aztec tom tom. did they give you peyote? did they, over a mesquite branch, lift you up with eagle talons locked on your titties while she wailed the wapiti "attack of the bear" mourning song and then as the peyote and aguardiente wore off and the sun yawned over the smoky mts yall stared deeply into each others souls and became "well aware of each other"? something like that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Siddown, Ra-Moan De Leon. Get that dictionary off your lap. You're Mexican! Speeeeeeeeeek like one.

      Delete
  5. More information about Gilberto
    URL:
    Email: gilbertosmith@gnail.com
    Whois: http://whois.arin.net/rest/ip/172.58.99.45 (IP: 172.58.99.45)

    ReplyDelete