Friday, December 1, 2023

π˜Ύπ˜Όπ™Žπ™ƒπ™„π™‰π™‚ 𝙄𝙉 π™Šπ™‰ 𝙏𝙃𝙀 "π™‚π˜Όπ™ˆπ™€ π™Šπ™ 𝙏𝙃𝙀 π˜Ύπ™€π™‰π™π™π™π™”"


Entrepreneurship is alive and well in Brownsville, especially in the blocks surrounding historic Sam's Stadium, the site of last night's "Game of the Century" between Corpus Christi Miller and Brownsville Veterans.

As I walked the Belden Hike and Bike Trail behind the stadium I encountered a man walking with a cane and asked him if he'd noticed the high parking rates being charged at my apartment's parking lot.

"Well, it's only $35 a space one block that way, but people are also cooking barbecue to sell," he told me.

As I continued walking the trail toward my son's house in West Brownsville, I encountered the line of Corpus Christi Miller fans waiting to enter the stadium from the rear entrance.  It was only about 3PM, a good four hours before the game's start.

An older couple with matching sweaters were at the back of the line, one with the words "Tia de Gorge," the other reading "Tio de Gorge."

"I'm assuming your nephew plays for Corpus Christi Miller?" I asked.

When they both nodded "Yes!" I told them "Well, good luck to Gorge!"

Later, as I walked further from the ballfield, I noticed parking being rented from $10 to $20 with folks opening up their driveways and front lawns for pay.

The large lot on Levee Street, once owned by County Judge Eddie Trevino, but now by BISD, was nearly full as I walked past.  

"What a good investment that likely tax delinquent property was for Mr. Trevino," I thought to myself.

Well, football is an American game and so is free enterprise.


1 comment:

  1. I like this post...very informative of what really happens in the City of Brownsville. People could have avoided this by parking FOR FREE at ITECC and using the FREE shuttle to Sam's Stadium.

    ReplyDelete