Saturday, September 2, 2023

MY HALFTIME TREK TO THE DUTCHMAN'S STORE FOR VIDDLES

 


At halftime of the Colorado-TCU game I drove over to the Dutchman's Store, an old-timey outfit run efficiently by Mennonite girls in long dresses.


The store was totally packed, a mixture of Mennonite men and women and senior citizens, including a man of the cloth looking perfectly like Dylan's "Man in the Long Black Coat" from Oh Mercy.

The crowd of shoppers made me feel young at 75 as I navigated my way around wrinkled old men and women folk navigating their shopping carts with difficulty.

With Ana visiting friends in Reno, Nevada, I wasn't going to buy out the store and settled on a few items before finding the back of a very long line.

I made small talk with the man in front of me until a relative of his interrupted.  No problem as the line moved quickly, Mennonite girls working the registers deftly.

A red Ford Explorer with Texas plates is easy to find in the parking lot and I got in for my ride back to our second story apartment in Keosauqua, Iowa.

My TV was still on in the apartment and Colorado was ahead with Neon Deion holding on for his first major college victory, then chiding the reporters in his after-game news conference who "didn't believe."

After our country's misguided election of Donald Trump in 2016, we need something to believe in and Neon Deion currently fills that bill.


No comments:

Post a Comment