Saturday, September 2, 2023

BROWNSVILLE'S BEST DISH, CHICKEN TACOS


 Don't laugh but I'm boiling chicken for tacos here in my upstairs Iowa apartment.

I've been told my tacos are actually decent and I've been learning my craft for six decades, starting with visits in the 60's to La Linterna Verde, the best Mexican eatery to ever grace Heroica Matamoros.

Alex Guerrero

My friend, the late Alex Guerrero, agreed with me about La Linterna Verde, as did Martin Sarkis.

Handmade corn tortillas, seasoned chicken, chopped cabbage, cilantro, onions, homemade salsa verde and crumbled white cheese.

And forget the two-tortilla tacos issued by midwest taco restaurants and promoted by a dimwitted McAllen blogger!  Those are not authentic and the processed corn meal of two factory-processed "tortillas' just clogs your throat.

Seasoned leg quarters from H.E.B. work best.  Then, remove the skin and break them apart by hand.

Using local homemade tortillas from one of Brownsville's many taquerias, fry them just short of stiffness, then pat them dry.

Don't overfill with ingredients.  Tacos are best not overloaded.

Make yourself 5 or 6, washing them down with your favorite cerveza.

No cuisine anywhere in the world matches well-made chicken tacos.  

PS: save the chicken broth to cook rice and beans as side dishes.


No comments:

Post a Comment