Monday, September 18, 2023

𝐆𝐄𝐓𝐓𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐀 𝐇𝐀𝐈𝐑𝐂𝐔𝐓 𝐈𝐍 𝐁𝐑𝐎𝐖𝐍𝐒𝐕𝐈𝐋𝐋𝐄 𝐈𝐍 𝟏𝟗𝟔𝟔


The barber shop options were more limited when I came to Brownsville in the mid-60's.

There was mild-mannered Tony Alvarez out in Southmost, charging only 50 cents, but such a horrible barber.  After getting a "Tony," it was just a question of how many months it would take for that one side of your head to grow back.

Of course, Matamoros had barbers everywhere, typically very competent, especially the guy who styled your hair using only scissors and razor, but charged $5.00, a lot of money back then.

So, usually, I went downtown to a three chair shop next to the old fire station.(the barber shop building is no longer there).

The three barbers downtown were related; father, son and uncle.  That's what I gathered, anyway.

The son, likely in his mid-20's back then, very handsome, was, by far, the best barber, but he always had clients in wait.  Whenever privileged enough to sit in his chair, I always left feeling I'd gotten a great cut.

But, as a sensitive guy, not wanting to hurt anyone's feelings, I took my chances and usually got the father or the uncle.

Editor back in the day
The father was the worst as it seemed he didn't even look at the head he was cutting, but, instead was distracted in conversation with someone in the shop.

When the father cut my hair, I quickly paid and left the shop wondering if I had a hat I could wear for a couple months.

The uncle was a little better than the father, but had this annoying habit of "slapping" your head a little harder than necessary whenever he wanted you to turn it slightly.  

Usually his cuts seemed "OK."

These days I have substantially less hair and it grows slowly.  Even so, I've needed a cut for at least two months, but I'm in no hurry.  I'll probably wait until I get back to Brownsville around November.  There's an old guy on West Jefferson that seems to know what he's doing.  He charges $8 I think, but, for something I do now about once a year, that's more than fine.   

No comments:

Post a Comment