Friday, November 25, 2022

HOMELESS MAN IN DOWNTOWN BROWNSVILLE FEELS SUPERIOR TO MIGRANTS

 

Bruce Camilla

Bruce Camilla, pictured above, was, like me, walking in downtown Brownsville in the light rain, although I'm not sure he has a home to spend the night .   

Mr. Camilla was quick to tell me that he was "from Ohio" and was eager to get back.

"I miss the snow," he told me.

Eventually, he told me that he'd a "bookkeeper for twenty years" during the time "before the calculator."  He was in Brownsville, his birthplace, to "see a relative."

He laughed when I said he must be "good at math."

I told Mr. Camilla that my wife and I had been in Columbus, Ohio in 2020 courtesy of billionaire Tom Steyer, a candidate for president.

Camilla was familiar with the city of Columbus, but not Mr. Steyer.

Mr. Camilla and I were standing across from "Team Brownsville," an outpost serving food to prospective immigrants.

Pointing to the migrants, Camilla said:  "I'm not here illegally like them."

"Well, actually," I explained, "if they've gone through the assylum process, they're here legally just like you."

Camilla reluctantly acknowledged that was true.


No comments:

Post a Comment