Sunday, August 4, 2019

MEETING STACY AND REGINALD IN MARKET SQUARE

Stacy in Market Square
Yesterday, on opposite sides of the benches near the historic Park Hotel, I encountered Stacy, a young woman from Chicago and Reginald, a 73 year old black male, originally from Florida.

While Stacy did not volunteer much about herself, Reginald or Reggie told me his life story, claiming to be one of the University of Houston's first black football recruits.

"Coach Yeoman didn't see black or white, just a player," Reggie told me.

"I just loved the man.  Sometimes in practice, If I messed up, Coach would say 'Reggie, I'm gonna send you back to Florida.'  That would scare the F outta me!"

When I mentioned the veer offense, the old man got animated, standing up to show me how it worked.

"I played with O.J. Simpson on the Buffalo Bills," Reggie added a few moments later.  

When I said something about the Bills quarterback from that era, Reggie knew exactly who I was talking about.

"Oh, yeah.  Joe Ferguson from Arkansas.  He was an OK guy."

But, when I asked Reggie if I could take a picture, he went a little crazy.

"That's why I asked," I told him, wishing him well as I walked on down the street.




No comments:

Post a Comment