Thursday, August 22, 2019

BROWNSVILLE'S "MR. MEETINGS MAN" GETS A LIFE MAKEOVER

The New(Actually Old) Look
In this late summer of my so-called reinvention, introspection and new direction in life, I cut off the long hair that's sort of identified me for the last 15 years.

No, this was not done at the direction of fiancΓ©e Ana, who's been careful to NOT express a preference in my style or grooming, but did seemed pleased when I sent her the above photo.

So, while many who first saw me a decade ago on the televised City Commission meetings, ventured I might be an angry former ship boat captain or someone you might not want to meet in a dark alley, I'm actually just a short, pudgy, soft-spoken guy, not particularly egocentric.

Still, it was a badge of honor for former County Administrative Assistant Chris Valadez to designate me "that crazy pony-tailed puto!"  Can I still be a crazy puto Chris?

"You look a lot smaller in person," I remember former mayoral candidate Viro Cardenas once telling me.

My recent McHale-designated persona, "Mr. Meetings Man," not especially flattering, more stenographic than editorial, sort of fits, as the contacts who call me with hot tips can be numbered on one hand.

Contacts almost always have an agenda, but, to my partial credit, if I publish what they share, it's because I actually see it myself.  I tend to be honest.

I've stopped taking calls from advocates who screamed curses into the phone about their political enemies.  So tiring and predictable!

My skill set, if I have one, is grasping the gist of a conversation, an event or meeting.  In another life I listened to thousands of student speeches, almost with total recall of their introduction, theme development, conclusion and arguments.  That's my modus operandi now.  Listening.


Ana Adiong
When fiancΓ©e Ana arrives September 6 from Cagayan de Oro, Philippines, she becomes my main focus; her goals, career, etc.

Graciously, she says she wants to accompany me wherever I go, which should mean a considerable Brownsville Observer upgrade from the plodding, unimaginative, notetaking "Mr. Meetings Man."

From the editor:  The handiwork pictured above is that of Tony Valdez, owner of Tony's Barber Shop, 3670 Boca Chica Blvd., Brownsville.  In my view Mr. Valdez certainly earned his $15 fee.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment