Saturday, August 31, 2019

ANA BUYS FRESH CAUGHT BLUEFIN TUNA AT 5:30 AM WHILE I LISTEN IN

Blue Fin Tuna
Ana excused herself from our videocall:  "Just a minute.  I need to buy some fish."

The fishmonger, who woke me up every morning in Cagayan de Oro between 5 and 6 AM, shouting, while pulling his cart with a motorbike, was out front.

I heard Ana say "150," that is 150 Philippine pisos, about $3 USD for 3 bluefin tuna caught in the ocean last night.

Ana seemed excited.

"I will make some fish soup with one fish, using onion, ginger and lemongrass," she explained.

"My brother can grill the other two when he gets home.  Grilled tuna, fish soup and horseradish greens!  I can hardly wait!" she exclaimed.

While I would take a San Miguel Beer or two with that, Ana keeps a pitcher of water in the fridge infused with cucumber, lemon and lime slices.

"I fill the pitcher three times, then start over," she explained to me.

I sort of know the drill on eating grilled fish in Phil.  A slice of green tomato, onions and several pepitas are put in a saucer.  You smash the pepitas with a fork, then pour soy sauce and vinegar over everything, adding lime juice.  Next you grab a piece of grilled fish and sticky rice with your fingers, dip it into the spicy soy sauce and into your mouth.

Yes, I miss the Philippines.  

1 comment:

  1. While those are tuna, I don't think they are Blue-fin. I don't believe Blue-fin have those lines that extend down from the dorsal area to the lateral line that we see on these fish. My experience in different places in the world is that there are many local names for various fish that are not necessarily the "correct" name. But they are still good.

    ReplyDelete