Monday, November 12, 2018

THREE DAYS AT COUNTRY VILLAGE HOTEL IN CAGAYAN DE ORO

Country Village Hotel Entrance
View from Hotel Room in CDO
Rebel bombings and kidnappings are considered unlikely in Cagayan de Oro or CDO, despite its location on the heavily Muslim island of Mindanao.  

While the U.S. and England have both issued travel warnings for the island of Mindanao, CDO is rated the 7th safest city in Asia, well ahead of both Cebu and Manila.

I'm careful to exclude women in the traditional hijab scarf from my photos as I know they oppose being photographed.  They do respond, however, to my "Good morning!"

My spartan existence at the Country Village Hotel in CDO is in sharp contrast to the royal treatment received at the Castle Peak Hotel in Cebu City.

No toiletries, wash cloths or blankets, just one bath towel wrapped in cellophane and one bottle of water.

The lobby staff, while friendly, laid down the law:  nothing from outside can be brought in, no food, liquor, beverages or snacks.  

When I asked for an additional towel to mop up the shower water on the floor of the CR(comfort room), I got a harsh response.

"So, sir, let me understand.  You want TWO towels?" the lady staffer asked sharply.

"No.  I'll tell you what I want.  I want someone to come up and mop my CR floor and bring me a blanket," I responded just like the ugly American I am.

Within two minutes a boy and girl showed up at my door, knocking meekly.  The boy had a mop and the girl, a blanket and my "second towel." The young man also brought a shower curtain to keep me from leaving the CR floor for the next resident as it had been left for me.

My "included" breakfast consisted of cold corn beef hash, warm rice and a small, sunny side egg cooked hard.

The diner pours hot water to make his own Nescafe and puts a glass up to the spout of a water bottle for cold water.

Street Sweepers at 7:00 AM
Explaining Why Hotel Has No Elevator


  

No comments:

Post a Comment