Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Plastic Bag Ban Rears Its Ugly Head on Walmart Online Grocery Website

In a simple twist of fate reminiscent of Pat Ahumada being hit in the upper torso with a flying plastic bag earlier in this millennium, my mailbox received a coupon from walmart.com/grocery.  What I viewed as junk mail, Nena regarded as a free ten dollar bill and instructed me to order a load of groceries online.

The flyer offered a code discounting the customer's first order by $10.  I registered as a new customer, giving my debit card information, address and phone number, also selecting "My Store," where the merchandise would be loaded into my care for free.

I also booked a time of pick-up, selecting Wednesday, November 9, 1:00-2:00 PM, designating the WalMart on Boca Chica as my pickup location since the Ruben Torres store was not listed on the website.

Trying to figure out things we "needed," and thinking of the pending day of thanks for all us pilgrims, I ordered Ocean Spray Whole Cranberry Sauce, turkey stuffing and some other odds and ends and hit submit.  My coupon was initially rejected.

Oh ok, the fine print says orders must be for at least $30.  

"How are we doing on shampoo?" I asked Nena.  I also added Afta Pre-Shave to bring the total to $30.29.  Still, the coupon was rejected.

OMG, the fine print on the coupon says the FIRST order must be for $50.  

Still I pressed on, trying to think of things that would actually fit into our already crowded pantry, when I ran into another roadblock, clearly presented on the WalMart Online Grocery Website:

Bag fee:

The store filling your grocery order is located in an area that requires a fee to be charged for grocery bags. If you do not want to pay this fee, you can choose to have your order delivered without bags.

Please deliver my order in bags. I agree to pay the per bag or order transaction fee of $1.00.

Holy Pat Ahumada!  Enough is enough!  

I presented my case to Nena that we could either have our groceries delivered loose or pay extortion to have our items bagged.  

Nena agreed the coupon was junk mail and I filed it appropriately.

4 comments:

  1. Too funny. Let's bring back the bag!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been using this service and I love it! I recently had an injury that prevents me from being to walk around HEB for 2+ hours and leave with dozens of things that weren't on my list. So far my Wal-Mart on-line/pick up experience has been great - using the Boca Chica location.

    ReplyDelete