To My Friends For Good Government:
For those who are not aware, there is a "Run Off" election coming up for Cameron County Judge. In my opinion one of the worst public servants we have had is Eddie Trevino and let me tell you why, but do not take my word for it-take the time to do your own research.
1) Eddie never did anything or should I say very little, as city commissioner or mayor for the citizens of Brownsville. Eddie did milk the city and did it well. There was no transparency under Eddie Trevino as mayor and his compadres got rich with taxpayers money. Remember when he was getting an auto allowances, healthy insurance coverage for him and his family, and other benefits not allowed under city charter. Eddie is an attorney, but does not know the difference between legal and non-legal entitlements, nor does he go by legal precedents as all mayors before him did when we knew all we were entitled to was no more than $50 per month and we gave our time as a civic public servants. Eddie sought to benefit as he did by knowingly getting benefits costing taxpayers thousands of dollars and never paid it back when finally caught.
2) Remember when Eddie thought about selling PUB, which is the result of the attached poster. Then Eddie got into co-hoots with his dear good friend Carlos Marin, who decided that Brownsville needed a strategic plan. So they both concocted the idea to take all of the city departments strategic plans and compile them into one plan and call it Imagine Brownsville and sell it back to the city for an initial payment of $850,000, plus an annual fee of $25,000 from each public entity. Te plan was put together and is updated using our staff and resources. The worst part about this scam costing taxpayers millions is that it organized Eddie Trevino and Carlos Marin to take control of public entities, while promoting themselves as civic minded people through an organization that was for PROFIT when they collected the $850,000. Many civic minded people volunteer and work through the Chamber, BEDC, and other organizations to help our city with no expectation to get paid, but Imagine Brownsville/Carlos Marin used all of our resources and got paid $850,000 up front with Eddie's help. They sure are civic minded individuals. Can you afford Eddie and more plans like Imagine Brownsville or backroom deals to benefit his friends?
3) I was elected on June 16, 2007, but 4 days before on June 12, 2007 Eddie Trevino provides a sweetheart contract to raise the city manager's salary and guarantees him 6 months severance pay, all of which will cost taxpayers over $200,000 (see attached contract) and it is against city charter. This was unprecedented and for a reason no city manager before got this kind of contract, but Eddie cannot read or understand the city charter and he is a lawyer. City charter entitles the city manager 30 days severance pay. You cannot blame Charlie Cabler, you have to blame those who we elect to do the right thing, but chose to give away the store, after all it is not there money. Secret contacts like this is only the tip of the iceberg should Eddie Trevino get elected as county judge, but ultimately your vote and effort to allow this or stop this from happening will decided.
4) For over six months I have requested from PUB through Open Records that they provide me what Eddie has been paid as BPUB Board Attorney, the estimate is over $500,000, but I want confirmation and cannot get it. Eddie has fought me tooth and nail not to provide the information using BPUB resources. In my opinon, Eddie can only survive by having BPUB as his client and scamming taxpayers and if you want to trust him as county judge, that is up to you. Eddie was hurting before he manipulated the system to gain personally and if elected you will only empower him to do more with the help of his compadres like Carlos Marin, after all it is only taxpayers money they well keeps on giving. I guarantee you, United Brownsville will be the first at the trough. This organization is a political based to work hard behind the scenes to get Eddie and people like the mayor elected. You will see more deals like the Casa Nylon purchase that is worthless to the city and cost taxpayers $2.3 million and if you compare to the Mercantile Bank purchase by the county, it proves how stupid those people who allow these things to happen are and we elect them. What I hear has saved the mayor from indictment is his relationship to Judge Hanen's wife and relationships with the FBI and they are immune from prosecution. It is who you know in this town.
Eddie keeps hiding to comply with my Open Records request by claiming the information requested is competitive and sensitive, even though it is citizens monies, but I guess Eddie has made it his private venture and the Attorney General agrees. Eddie hides by claiming that it is all related to TENASKA, which is another scam the mayor and him got us into and has already costing us millions and millions of dollars when it is not a feasible project, plus higher utility rates. TENASKA is another Bridge To Nowhere project that cost the Port of Brownsville $21 million before exposed.
5) The TENASKA deal was pushed by Mayor Martinez and Eddie Trevino against all who wisely said was not needed or worth it, but they managed again to enrich their compadres and will continue should you support this kind of entitlement type of government that rips off taxpayers. And some just went livid when I was wrongfully accused of stealing a check, how this pales to all of the above. I can look anyone in the eye knowing this was political and an effort to ruin me, but it gives the haters something to spread their poison with while supporting individuals like Eddie and the Mayor. Go figure!
The above is only a synopsis of the type of leadership you are being asked to vote for and if you do, I repeat what I said in My Turn Article. Some of the people we elect are like vacuums who suck the life out of our county and city and we rush to destroy those who try to do what is right. Don't take my word for it, but enlighten us on what contributions Eddie has made as a public servant without benefiting.
In spite of ourselves, many good things do happen in our community, but how much more could happen if we did not have these kind of people who support this kind of government. We elected them and are now entrenched, Your vote makes the difference. It is up to you to vote for Eddie or make sure you talk to those who support Eddie and let them know what they are voting for, because many want to believe he is the Voice of Reason and for Family Values, but I would not trust him or the mayor one iota.
Attached is the city manager's contract and Eddie's picture poster that says it all why Eddie wants your vote. Thank you for your time and consideration to the above. This is my opinion based on actual facts and what I know of Eddie Trevino, but ultimately it is up to you.