Sunday, May 11, 2014

Former Mayor Pat Ahumada Reflects on City's Casa del Nylon Purchase

From the editor:  Yes, we've written many times about the ill-advised purchase of La Casa del Nylon for the exorbitant price of $2,300,000, a building now sitting in decay at 1305 E. Adams.  The fact is that our arrogant mayor, Tony Martinez, has never seen fit to attempt an explanation for this near criminal misuse of taxpayer dollars.  

The city obviously has no need or use for the building, but is now responsible for its maintenance and insurance.  City leaders are now comically scrambling to find uses for some of the buildings purchased during the City Commission's brain dead speculative real estate fiasco of 2012. 

The former  Mother of Perpetual Help Home at 519 E. Adams, purchased for $195,101, is now used for bicycle storage.  The skinny red brick building at 1700 Ringgold, bought for $100,000, is being remodeled at a tourist center.  Someone from Bean Ayala's staff will likely be available to answer tourist's questions as they approach Linear Park on E. 6th Street.  No use yet has been found for the Old National Guard Armory at 344 Porter Street, purchased for $431,200, or the San Fernando Building, bought for $315,000.

Just this morning, former Mayor Pat Ahumada contributed the comment below on La Casa del Nylon purchase. Ahumada, himself a former real estate auditor, provides some historical background and comparables:

Pat Ahumada May 11, 2014 at 8:18 AM

"You know what is even more sickening, is that the entire city commission went along with the mayor
Pat Ahumada
when he ramroded the purchase of the Nylon Building for $2.3 million, when it is not worth but $635,000 and the way I understand it, no one negotiated or even attempted to get a second opinion. The city purchased many buidlings to build the multimodal transportation facility and never it its' wildest dreams did it occur to pay the price that was paid for the Nylon Building to other property owners. I am sure they must feel sick about this deal that was ramrodded thru the commission. Stop and think, the Nylon Building has 37,000 sf, in need of a lot of maintenance and repairs, on a half city block of land and no parking. Compare this to the Chenito Building that has 50,000 sf of leasable space, built on a city block of land, with plenty of parking and sold for $650,000 sf. Or, compare the Greyhound Station with a city block of land that was purchased by Mike Belville for $450,000 and I can go on, but it is obvious this was beyond irresponsible and not protecting the city. I would not want these people running a Fortune 500 Company, because it would go broke in a NY minute. Let me make it clear, we cannot blame the owner of the property. The owner is going to ask and get all he can. The worst part Anonymous, aka Elite blogger, is that the city has no use for the building. My understanding also is that the city paid a commission to the mayor's partner for brokering or being part of the deal to purchase the property. What a conflict! And, they accused me of being a thief. Went all out to ruin my political career. Used the check incident during the campaign to discredit me. What a joke! And the joke is on the citizens. This is in response to Annonymous blasting me as a bad mayor, thief, and everything else he keeps whining about. This is another Imagine Brownsville deal for friends to benefit from public service. What a sham!"

15 comments:

  1. This is a clear example of incompetence on behalf of the commission. I think there was something criminal here. We're is luis soap box? Where are his integrity team bozos? Wy will they not investigate a clear crime, the mayor's partner getting a commission on an overpriced building! This is not about the douchebag Pat Ahumada, this is about ethics, especially from a mayor that is an attourney and his partner, were swindling more than 2million from the citizens,mans the inept commissioners that do nothing. They should be removesd for incompetence, all of them! The citizens should demand an investigation and those responsible put in jail. What happened to the mayors call for a code of ethics to be writtenn and followed? The brownsville city commission is the joke of the state.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stop posting Ahumadas stuff Jim. He is going to write more stupid stuff about himself. The guy thinks He is the messiah. He is full of shit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just as I posted your comment, those of Dagoberto Barrera, party ideologues, anti-abortionists, I've posted those of the former mayor. Put on your thinking cap and explain how Ahumada is "full of shit" and we'll post that comment as well.

      Delete
    2. i agree with you ahumada is rat he forgot about the 28,000 dlls he deposit "by mistake'in his account.and jim dont invite this guy to your blog please .finally keep writing.

      Delete
  3. You know, I do not mess with anyone, but I do have the right to defend myself when they call me a thief and blast me for anything and everything. Anonymous does not like Jim posting my comments, but all I am doing is quoting facts. El Chinito Building was purchased for $650,000 and the Greyhound Building was purchased for $450,000, how is that full of S---? I was told the mayor's partner and others got involved in the deal and got a commission. If this is true, how is that full of S---? I was also told the mayor ramrodded this deal without negotiating and who does not negotiate in real estate buying? How is this full of S---? So, Anonymous, I am full of S-- for stating the facts as I know them and for giving my opinion as a commercial appraiser who is licensed to practice in the state of Texas. Anonymous, you have called me a thief, even though a jury acquitted me and you have blasted me as a bad mayor, which is an opinion you are entitled to, but I do not mess with you. You mess with me and I have the right to defend myself. I kept quiet about the Nylon Building purchase, but then you started atacking me on the other topics of discussion, so I respond and you cannot take it. Why do you whine when you dish it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous calls me a rat, even though I was aquitted and many say this as a political Salem Witch Hunt to get me out of the way. Anonymous, you dish it, then take it.. Call me a Rat all you want, but the city was never out any money when the teller filled out the deposit slip, not I and the money was immediately returned when I was notified of the mistake. Call me a Rat, while the extravagant purchase has cost the city millions, when you count the purchase price of $2.3 millon, plus the remodeling and maintenance, plus removing this property from the Tax Rolls which was valued by the Cameron County Appraisal district at 685,000, which is a far cry from $2.3 million and was paying $16,000 in property taxes annually, now it pays zero. To top it off, as of today, there is no use for the building. Now you say I am a Rat! I like the way the elite justify their arrogance, which makes them feel they can get away with anything. They have a double standards and cover themselves when caught by blaming others. As an appraiser I stand by the estimated value I provided, which was $635,000, but let's say I am a lousy appraiser and give them a million, which is still far from $2.3 million.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All personal attacks, against Ahumada. Enlighten me anonymous, tell me in which issues he is full of shit.

    Christian

    ReplyDelete
  6. To all you assholes attacking poor old Pat, the amount of damage he did compared to the current Mayor and his dipshit cronies is like comparing a thunder storm to a category five hurricane. Let's get real. We are comparing sloppy personal finance to millions of dollars in plain sight rip-offs. If you don't like Pat, fine. He is an irascible kind of guy, drinks too much and is barley literate. So what? I would much rather have Huey Long than Boss Tweed....

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK, you want to know how much that piece of shit "Casa del Nylon" is worth? Put it up for auction and any bid under 2.3 million will cause the property to be purchased by one, Antonio Martinez, Mayor of Brownsville, with his own money for the original price. This way there will be no dispute over appraised value.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous, that is not nice. Why put me down? What did I do to you? Just because I write without proof reading the blogs I post, does not make me illiterate. You underestimate my intelligence. Compare me to any of my predecessors like Eddie Trevino who gave you Imagine Brownsville and Tony Martinez who has taken the city into the real estate business. What scam can you pin on me? I am proud of my accomplishments, when the odds of a homeless kid at 13 who files for emancipation at 16 becomes mayor and makes many good things happen. I also managed a law firm for 10 years and before that, owned my own fleet of boats. I made this city and saved the city millions without getting the city into debt, raising taxes, or cutting services. I guess, it is easier to put me down than to acknowledge that I did my job. Whether you agree or disagree with my points of view or initiatives, it was all for the benefit of our city. Compare me to Eddie Trevino who gave you Imagine Brownsville and Carlos Marin the architect of the defacto government I warned everyone about. And, Mayor Martinez has given taken our city into the real estate business at the expense of so many good projects that would have benefited our city. This is my opinion, but who am I to have an opinion as an illiterate individual. Forget that I saved the city and made the city millions with no benefit to me or friends. I rather be self taught and illiterate than having the fine education to be clueless like some of our bloggers. LOL! Thank you for the compliment..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Number one, I was being facetious. Second, I wrote barely literate, which means you are literate but not by much!!! Stay on "El Tonita's" ass with the "La Casa del Nylon". It has felonious written all over it.

      Delete
  9. You made many good things happen? Please explain, I got to hear this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. More detail on death of Zeta founder than cursory report in Herald:

    http://www.jornada.unam.mx/ultimas/2014/05/11/fundador-de-los-zetas-muere-en-enfrentamiento-con-militares-en-reynosa-6397.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL! Like they say, becareful what you wish for.. I have my faults, but I did make our city the agenda. Many have sought to create a perception that is not accurate of me and some prefer to believe. This is why my son has been insisting I counter the attempts to characterize me into something I am not. He wants me to do it for my grand children's sake. I know it has been painful when they read or hear bad things about their dad. My son wants me to finish a book I have started on the politics of Brownsville with no holding back. The negative perception some have attempted to create goes back to the former city Editor Robert Kahn and some from the elite that resented when I won the election back in 1991. The odds were overwhelming against me as an unknown shrimper with no formal education, no political experience, but we (grassroots) proved them wrong. The effort to discredit me continues with the negative comments through the blogs that people enjoy for no real reason. When you ask them to to submit some facts regarding my initiatives or polices that are wrong, they obviously cannot. They prefer to resort to name calling, blasting me on a personal basis, not realizing how it affects my family or they could care less. Sometimes people conveniently forget what I did, even the local historian who gave credit to some for the 1990 Bond Issue and conveniently ignored the initiative that made it happen, which is an interesting story in itself for another time or the police substations that back then I got blasted for proposing. This is why my son wants me to record my contributions that has changed Brownsville, because the elite will never give me credit and will pretend I had noting to do with making things better. A lot of it is recorded in the chronicles of the Herald, in spite of those who over look my initiatives or tenacity to get things done. Unfortunately, my political career has come to an end. Hopefully, someone will run to make our city the agenda. Our city has so much potential, if only those elected made the city the agenda. Grassroots needs to vote, otherwise only a certain few will benefit, as we see today.

    ReplyDelete