Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Cooling Our Heels in the Lobby During the P.U.B. Executive Session

John Holt, KEMA
John Holt, the Vice-President of KEMA, from Los Angeles, California cooled his heels in the P.U.B. lobby while awaiting a decision on a professional services contract for assisting in the conceptual design, installation and replacement of electric supervisory control and a data acquisition system.  He had just given one of three presentations in a workshop before the P.U.B. board.  Holt, originally from Michigan, started his career in  the high tech aspect of the power grid in Miami, Florida, but had spent the last 30 years in L.A.

"I don't think any of the P.U.B. directors actually listened to the presentations," I offered.

"I noticed that," Holt countered.  "Of course, I'm more of a technical guy than a slick salesman.  I've been in this business forty years.  There's not much I haven't seen."

"May I ask what your bid was for technical assistance?" I asked.

"We bid $99,500 plus expenses.  I know I can make money on that," Holt responded.

"Sometimes, here in Brownsville, the decision makers decide well before the presentations.  Last year at the Brownsville Independent School District board meeting, then Board President Cata Presas-Garcia took a long potty break during one of the legal teams' presentations on delinquent tax collection.  She had accepted campaign money from Linebarger and her mind was already made up."  I stated.

"Yes, that's the way it goes sometimes.  Money changes hands.  The company I'm with, KEMA, will never give a dime under the table, period.  If we lose the bid, we lose the bid," responded Holt.

"How do you like L.A.?" I asked.

"Well, we have a saying in California.  All the nuts are in L.A. and all the fruits are in San Francisco.  I can say that, living there.  It got to where I was afraid in Miami, because of the violence associated with drugs.  I'm not afraid anywhere at night in L.A."  said Holt.

"Are you familiar with Figueroa St.?" I asked.

"Yes, why?"

Los Angeles Music Center, Figueroa St.
"I was there as a teenager in '63.  I stayed at a fleabag hotel for .80 a night, a patchwork quilt on a bed.  I saw my first knife fight there. The hotel was condemned for the Los Angeles Music Center."  I offered.

"Yeah.  That's a dangerous area.  Oh, I think the Executive Session is over."

"Good luck."

"Thanks."

When the open meeting resumed, agenda point #16 was considered.  KEMA was awarded the contract for professional services to assist in the conceptual design, installation and replacement of an electric supervisory control and data acquisition system.

No comments:

Post a Comment

𝗔 𝗙𝗘𝗪 𝗡𝗢𝗧𝗘𝗦 𝗙𝗥𝗢𝗠 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗔𝗣𝗣𝗥𝗔𝗜𝗦𝗔𝗟 𝗗𝗜𝗦𝗧𝗥𝗜𝗖𝗧 𝗖𝗔𝗡𝗗𝗜𝗗𝗔𝗧𝗘 𝗙𝗢𝗥𝗨𝗠

The Cameron County Appraisal Board Candidates Forum was held in the same room as the TSC/BISD thing a couple nights earlier and, despite no...