Thursday, March 7, 2013

Jerry Mchale's Ruminations About, Fascination with Death

Jerry Mchale


"And when I die, and when I'm gone,
There'll be one child born
In this world to carry on,
to carry on."




When I Die,  Blood, Sweat and Tears








When a published author/intermittent blogger ran an unsubstantiated report that Jerry Mchale had jumped off the Isabella Causeway to see what a fake suicide felt like, some aspects of the phony story rang true.  Jerry is in touch with his own mortality.  It's not just that his father died recently, but that he hears his own clock ticking.  Mean Mister Brownsville shared this Jerry quote January 12, 2012 in a story that was actually about Bobby Wightman-Cervantes:

"My passing will be less significant than the splash precipitated by a seagull crapping over the ocean. I will return to my pre-birth state. I will be nothing. I don't know if a conscious supreme power presides over the universe. I do know that I don't figure in any one's plans. Within my limited comprehension of the incomprehensible, I believe that when you're dead, you're dead."

Jerry's thoughts above about death parallel what I was taught as a kid from the King James Bible:  

"His breath goes forth, he returns to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish."  Psalms 146:4

In other words, when you're dead, you're dead.  You can't think anymore.   Your body decomposes into soil over time just like plants, animals and other humans.  Theologians and holy men messed with this simple concept by telling us that good people and bad people have a specific, continued existence somewhere else.  These concepts are bullshit(Read my thoughts on God, The Bible, etc. here: http://meanmisterbrownsville.blogspot.com/2013/02/lightning-strikes-vaticanpope-quits.html)

While religion has fictional characters like Santa Claus to keep us nice instead of naughty, they even made up one to torment us after death, Satan the Devil.  This former enemy of God now becomes God's chief enforcer in the after life, making things hot on those who disobeyed God.  God makes the rules,  assigns the penalty for non-compliance, but Satan runs the prison.  Most assume that Adolph Hitler is incarcerated there.  Many think Joe Paterno and Pope Benedict XVI may have long stints there for not protecting young children from sexual abuse.  Jerry Mchale has a long list of local politicos who may eventually be under Satan's supervisory control.  

I've thought about death as well.  Being mathematical, I've figured out the number of days I've actually lived.  Using the National Center for Health Statistics stats, I've figured how many days I have left according to the averages.  When I'm with my 3 year old grandson, I ask myself how much of this kid's life I will actually see. Will I see him enter high school, graduate or marry?   According to the current stats, I will miss all of those things.  Damn!  If only I would have been born in Japan, Switzerland, Hong Kong, Australia, Italy, Iceland, France, Sweden, Israel, Singapore, Canada, Spain, Norway, Austria, Netherlands, New Zealand, Martinique, Macau, South Korea, Germany, Belgium or 18 other countries with greater longevity, on average, than the United States.  

I'm not scared of dyingAnd I don't really careIf it's peace you find in dyingWell, then let the time be near
If it's peace you find in dyingAnd if dying time is here just bundle up my coffin'Cause it's cold way down thereI hear that it's cold way down thereYeah, crazy cold way down there
And when I die, and when I'm goneThere'll be one child bornIn this world to carry on, to carry on
Now troubles are many, they're as deep as a wellI can swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hellSwear there ain't no heaven and I pray there ain't no hellBut I'll never know by living, only my dying will tellYes, only my dying will tell, yeah, only my dying will tell
And when I die, and when I'm goneThere'll be one child bornIn this world to carry on, to carry on, yeah yeah
Give me my freedom for as long as I beAll I ask of living is to have no chains on meAll I ask of living is to have no chains on meAnd all I ask of dying is to go naturallyOh, I want to go naturally
Here I go, hey heyHere comes the devil right behindLook out childrenHere he comes, here he comes, hey
Don't want to go by the devilDon't want to go by demonDon't want to go by SatanDon't want to die uneasyJust let me go naturally
And when I die and when I'm dead, dead and goneThere'll be one child bornIn our world to carry on, to carry on, yeah yeah

 BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS - AND WHEN I DIE LYRICS 

11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yet, here you are for your daily dose. How 'bout that?

      Delete
  2. again, you copy another blogger's creativity. you're losing it, Jim.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Death is a part of the life cycle and most of us worry, fascinate, ruminate about death at some point. Death and the afterlife is the centerpiece of religions...some go with 55 virgins, some go with just piece of mind. Why place such a social bruise on poor Jerry McHale....he just expresses what other think...or maybe try to avoid. The fear of death is part of us all. Just remember the ending of "Saving Private Ryan", in the military cemetary in France, when the aging man needed confirmation that he had "been a good man" after so many lost their lives saving him. Have you led a "good life"....however you define "good"??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not think that Doc Scully is worried about confirmation of his being a "good Man" or for that matter if he had led a good life. Nice post but you are being overly sympathetic to someone who promoted them self as being a rogue, if there is a Hell Doc has already been there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know there is a hell, we are all living in our own personal hell of our own creation.

      Delete
  5. Not really. The article did not comment on Jerry as a person at all, simply his observations about death.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  6. This Blog is dead!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You don't believe in God but you believe in Government for the people by the people, you my friend are an idiot.
    At your age too, what a meaningless life you have led. At least you procreated, thats the only thing positive you have done. Without faith, life is meaningless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. AnonymousMarch 12, 2013 at 12:56 PM

    Not believing in a deity is the default position. Atheists make no claim of a god, unlike Christians that do make such claims. It's not an atheist position to debunk Krishna, Apollo, Zeus. . .actually it's up to believers of different faiths to debunk each others gods and prove that god exists.

    I think you're asking (Why wouldn't you believe) because the default position for any claim, no matter what it is? Is not belief until proven wrong, it's disbelief until the claim is justified.

    If Jim is an atheist, it's all philosophical unlike Political activist atheism which is a counter to right wing christian conservative politics, that we have in America. If Jim took a political stance in his atheism here in Brownsville, he'd be the most hated person in the valley.

    Arguing about god is not an issue to me, I think people who believe in God suffer from schizophrenia, the most common symptom of it is not being able to tell the difference of real vs not real. They have the mind of a child that believes in Winnie the Pooh, Mickey Mouse and Jesus.

    Jim has a healthy atheist brain.

    ReplyDelete