Sunday, June 3, 2012

Craig Grove Speaks Out Against Environment Texas Petition



















     Local realtor Craig Grove sent the statement below in as a comment on the "Environment Texas" petition posted on this blog.  Craig has been promoting SpaceX on his Facebook page. 
     Craig's comments are unnecessarily personal and shrill in tone, making an unemotional discussion more difficult.   Craig questions whether Boca Chica beach could be described as "pristine" and wonders out loud if I've actually been up and down the beach or "taken my kids to play in the surf."  LOL!  Our son is older than Craig.  We don't "take him to play" anymore.  The picture on the upper left was taken at Boca Chica in 1970, three years before Mr. Grove's birth..  The picture in the upper right is Nena with our granddog at the beach.  As far as fishing in the bay is concerned, we do not fish.  We did live at Arroyo City for 5 years with our property line bordering the Laguna Atascosa Wildlife Refuge and have been to most every nook in the laguna including Green Island.
     We've been up and down every inch of the beach and on the Mexican side at Playa Baghdad as well and explored the adjacent hectares.    My description of Boca Chica as "pristine" refers to it still being undeveloped commercially, not saying that empty cans of Bud Light or discarded Pampers don't hit the beach.  That kind of personal trash can be cleaned up in a day or two whereas the pollutants of an industrial site not so much.(Actually, we go to the beach nearly every non-holiday week and have not found it particularly trashy.)
     We're not opposed to SpaceX necessarily, although not in favor of a site adjacent to Boca Chica.  It's way premature to support a project before we know how much it will cost and before an environmental study is done.   To use one of Craig's hot button phrases, we're trying to "act like adults."  
Brownsville LivingJune 2, 2012 7:53 PM
  1. Boy this is a pretty strongly worded Press Release for
    a person/organization that has admittedly never been
    to Boca Chica beach and almost definitely has no
    real understanding of the issues we face in our community. It's quite simple to sit up there in Austin and tell us what
    we should do in our own backyard.

    Furthermore, they are cherry picking data from a
    report released by a government body outlining the
    worst possible scenarios of putting in a launch pad but
    no at all looking specifically at this specific project and
    with no regard to the Environmental Impact Study that is currently
    getting underway.

    So I guess they are just assuming that we have no good judgement
    down here and can't make decisions on our own and based on
    good science. Silly us for thinking we can handle our own issues.

    As to the data about effecting eco-tourism... well, it's rather convenient
     that they are using numbers that are compiled for the entire region with
     no respect to what actually is generated just on Boca Chica Beach.
     They fail to mention that there is not a birding center there or any type
     of facilities aside of a Border Patrol Check Point. The county barely picks
     up trash out there so there goes the whole pristine dunes argument Jim
     tries to make. Jim, when was the last time you actually went down there
     or traveled from the mouth of the Rio Grande Valley to the jetties? Have
     you ever done it? I have. Have you ever stopped to look at the shear
    volume of trash or picked any of it up? I have. Have you ever taken your
     kids down there to play in the surf? Have you ever gone fishing in
     South Bay or kayaking? I have. Has Mr. Luke Metzger who is apparently
     so concerned ever done any of these things? No he is too busy chilling
     at coffee shops in Austin and crafting press releases and initiatives
     that could negatively effect our future.

    I want to protect the environment just as much as anyone and would go
     as far as to say I have spent more time in it then a large portion of
     the people claiming to want to protect it. I would never want to do
     anything that would hurt that area. That is the purpose of the EIS. Let's
     do the research and find out what the harm can be. It's not as if they
     don't have a ton of eyes on them. Then when the study is done,
     let's analyze the data and see if we can mitigate the potential damage.
     Once we have done that, let's review what we can't mitigate and see if
     there are things that can be done to compensate. Just saying "no"
     without doing that is short sighed and frankly, bad business. If we are
     to grow out of this economic funk and provide hope and opportunity for
     our area's children, we have to act like adults and research the facts
     before making decisions.

    Everyone needs to get over this idea that people are always trying to
    screw or take advantage of another. They need to look at the entire
    situation from all angles and make a well informed educated decision.
    Let's hope our community and our leaders continue to do that. Let's hope
    we all work together for what is best for Brownsville, not just our own
    self-interest.

10 comments:

  1. Again, we have out-of-town organizations taking a stand on local issues even before the public is heard here. Yes, our elected officials have taken up most of the "face-time" so far to put their "two-cents" worth in and take credit for finding the potential "golden goose". In 1970 Boca Chica might have been far more "pristine" than it is today.....but over the years it has been neglected by the county and state and trashed by the public. We can tell what the public thinks about environmental issues by looking at the trash on the streets, in parking lots, dirty diapers thrown out the windows, dumping trash illegally throughout the county, the smell of urine on our downtown streets. There is nothing "pristine" about anything in this county. We have too many, like you Jim, who would like to turn time back to 1970 in Margaritaville and walk down dusty roads with no worries in the world. Our kids can't live on your memories of days gone by. Time for progress and personal investment in progress for our kids and grandkids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can cherry pick data to suit either end. This is why they call studies bullshit at the interface of science. A good example is the nuclear industry. Sounds like a safe, great idea until it comes to your backyard, and soon people will forget Fukushima, as they did with Chernobyl.

    How cute, the realtor is dying to sell some houses and too good for the peoples' beach cause of a little trash. Why not use that social media power to clean it up? Oh that's right, it's not profitable to waste time on something that. FYI that beach just needs some TLC and me and my buddies camp there every summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is he going to get out of the deal?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Craig is trying to be relevant. He has no standing in the Space X con job, nevertheless, he is trying to ingratiate himself with the powers that be by being a cheerleader for Space X.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This guys mind is made up despite what the EIS may say. He is using language like "mitigate" not "relocate". Mitigtion happens when you wreck something at one spot and try to make up for it by fixing or improving something somewhere else. Mitigation never undoes the damage done, it is just a loop hole. If you don't build it there is nothing to mitigate.
    Mescalero

    ReplyDelete
  6. He sounds angry and inmature. Do we need people like him speaking up for us?
    What is in it for him? He sounds like a kid who wants a new toy. I have not decided one way or the other until I become more informed. I have read some of his outburst when others have posted comments questioning the enviromental safety. A walking timebomb. I'm sure his foot doesn't taste too good so he needs to keep it out of his mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why does he delete posts that oppose his way of thinking? This just proves how biased he is. I guess the real estate market is dismal. This guy has too much time on his hands jamming a one man crusade down our throats. He sounds all hyper and silly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The man is fool


    Here is what Texas Parks and Wildlife had to say about the project: http://environmenttexas.org/sites/environment/files/reports/TPWDletter.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jim, couldn't you have used my other profile picture? I hate that one. Anyhow, I am not sure how my comment was so personal. Yes, I did ask you a few personal questions but it certainly wasn't out of line. You seemed to take it far more personal then it was intended. Aside from that my post above was a response to your post of the of the Environment Texas Press Release and it wasn't anymore childish then these anonymous comments stooping to name calling and the Ad Hominem approach.

    One of the anons asked what's in it for me? Nothing directly. But yes, real estate is tough and yes I would like to see the situation for our entire community improve. And if that helps sell some houses, that's fantastic. But no if the EIS comes back showing irreparable damage, I would not support the launch pad in this location. I just prefer to let the due diligence be done before I make a final judgement. As for now, I am in total support of the project at this phase. We will see if that changes at the conclusion of the study and response from SpaceX.

    As for the person that claims I delete posts. I do not. The only posts I have ever deleted on any of my pages is when someone flat out attacks another person. I NEVER DELETE disagreements. Sometimes people delete their own comments after they rethink them but I do not delete them. If you don't believe me, you don't know me and it really doesn't matter as you have made your judgement anyhow.

    As for me trying to be relevant, I could see how someone who doesn't know me would think that and it certainly helps raise my visibility. However, I don't do things for that reason. I do things because I am passionate about them. If that raises my visibility for better or worse, it is what it is. I will continue to do what I believe in regardless if it garners me visibility or not. There are certainly many other issues I could get involved in that I choose not to which would produce much more visibility on a consistent basis.

    As to the anon that said I am too good for the beach... where did they get that? I just stated in my comment how I go there and swim, kayak, fish and use the beach. I am not the most avid user of Boca Chica Beach but I have done all of these activities there. I do not think myself too good for that beach at all but I also don't find it to be the cleanest beach I have visited, not even close. Which brings me to my second post. Unlike all the other Social Media pages in town I have actually promoted many beach clean ups, dune restorations, Adopt A Beach events and Surfrider Foundation events. Ask Mary Helen who sits on the other side of this issue if I have ever promoted her events. Ask Rob Nixon who heads the Surfrider Foundation if I have ever promoted his events. Again, you guys have made up your mind about me from before I opened my mouth. You have personalized this not me. You are the ones that are immature by saying ugly things about me and hiding behind anonymous posts, not me.

    Anyhow, I have spent way much time on this already so I will be logging off but I will chose to look at this interaction as people being involved and ultimately that is a positive. If you don't agree with me or don't like me, at least you care enough to be involved in the community. Too bad you hide behind anonymous comments, but I guess it is what it is.

    Warm Regards,

    Craig Grove - BL

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's funny to think that anyone really cares about the RGV...

    ReplyDelete

𝗔 𝗙𝗘𝗪 𝗡𝗢𝗧𝗘𝗦 𝗙𝗥𝗢𝗠 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗔𝗣𝗣𝗥𝗔𝗜𝗦𝗔𝗟 𝗗𝗜𝗦𝗧𝗥𝗜𝗖𝗧 𝗖𝗔𝗡𝗗𝗜𝗗𝗔𝗧𝗘 𝗙𝗢𝗥𝗨𝗠

The Cameron County Appraisal Board Candidates Forum was held in the same room as the TSC/BISD thing a couple nights earlier and, despite no...