Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Our Interview with the Candidate Accosted at the Cheezmeh Forum


Alex Torres, candidate for State Representative, District 38 normally visits the South Texas VA Veterans Health Care Center at Harlingen on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Being a veteran himself with two terms in the Navy, he understands the difficulty veterans can have adjusting back to civilian life. He agreed to sit down with Nena and I for a few minutes for an interview.

MMB: What are some of your observations about veterans returning from Iraq or Afghanistan?

Torres: "Many of them have anger. It could be anger about their injuries or just pent up emotion. I know I had that. My wife had to put up with it. I was angry, impatient. I couldn't even wait in a line. Sometimes people would be talking to me and I just looked right through them. You're back home but you're not really here if that makes sense."

MMB: How does a returning soldier deal with that?

Torres: He has to deprogram, talk it out, either in a focus group or even by himself. Drive to the end of the pavement on Highway 100 on South Padre Island. Get up on the dunes and scream if you have to, but let that anger out. Talk to God. Tell the Devil to get behind you. Whatever! Just talk about it. Don't keep it inside.

MMB: I know you've been asked several times about a new VA hospital. Most of the candidates obviously favor it. Anything you'd like to add to what you've already said?

Torres: Yes, no one, including me, mentioned this at the UTB/TSC forum and I didn't get asked about it at the Cheezmeh forum, but it's not just that we have over 100,000 veterans in the valley, but thousands more come down as Winter Texans from October to April. If they're enrolled, they are just as eligible for health care as in their home state. That's an additional burden on the VA system locally that hasn't been mentioned.

MMB: You're are running in District 38 against Eddie Lucio III. How do you differ from him?

Torres: Well, of course, the Lucios are extremely wealthy people. Someone drove me by Eddie Lucio, Jr's ranch. I didn't know where we were going. I see this magnificent, gated compound. Wow! Between Eddie III and his dad, they've raised something like $900,000. I've gotten some contributions, but I'm financing a lot of this myself. My wife works and I have a catering business. We're not rich, but we do ok.

MMB: Yes, but what about policy?

Torres: I don't understand some of the things the Lucios do, like these trips to Turkey and getting cruise ships approved. How does that help District 38?

MMB: I have to ask you this: What happened the other night at the Cheezmeh forum? Montoya reported and I reposted that you were accosted by someone.



Torres: Exactly. This guy got into my face about capital punishment and some other things. He invaded my personal space. I mean I don't allow people to get jaw to jaw with me. So I asked Erasmo and anyone to get this guy off of me. I first asked a reporter from Matamoros, then I saw Tad Hasse, who I recognized. He was nice enough to help me get out of that situation.

MMB: Did you know the guy?

Torres: Yes, Ron Lozano. He's what I call a conspiracy theorist. He always wears a ball cap and sort of a military coat. He's done something similar at City Commission meetings in Harlingen.

MMB: So, he followed you outside?

Torres: Yes, he did. He kept trying to start something. Then, Robert Uresti joined us. He told the guy to get out of here or he'd call the police. Some people wanted me to file a police report, but there's no need. He finally left. I mean, I still enjoyed talking about my plans for the district. We have another forum tomorrow at the VICC. It's for Republican candidates. Are you guys going?

MMB: We'll be there.

8 comments:

  1. Good Mr. Torres cleared up the lies spread lastweek about Rep. Lucio being involved in a random individuals bad behavior. It really put Mr. Torres in a bad light by anyone with a thinking brain. Instead of focusing on financial capabilities of your opponent, focus on the issues. Such as the additional burden of Winter Texans, which implies Vets are already considered a burden to the VA system? And there lays the real issue, the mindset that a hospital in the valley would add a burden to the overall VA system. What a ridiculous notion. That is not reason enough not to get it done. Have you seen the recent release of our Federal Expenditures? Half of the US Budget is for Military expenditure and people like you, want to claim there is not enough money to take care of our wounded vets? There are ways to get it done, not just talk about it or about how much wealthier the opponent is compared to yourself which is irrelevant to holding the position you seek. If you have the fight, determination and true grit it takes to enter into the political arena, it will not matter how much money you have, if your message is authentic in providing real solutions, the people would rally for such a candidate. Unfortunately instead what the people of this region get on the norm are theatrics, finger pointing, rarely solutions that are feasible or the champion who will follow through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was reading the interview and thinking the same think, they even asked him twice and still he reply based on income differences. Really has no clue! I researched him to be better informed about the people running. When he was asked why he wanted to run for office, his replies were because of people paying with food stamps, like really!!! We need informed/PASSIONATE candidates that will be able to represent us in Austin. Hope people vote correctly, because I for one would hate to have a representative for whom I know more about the issues affecting us than him.

      Delete
  2. And Erasmo ends with egg on his face. Did he not claim that this incident never occurred and even insulted Mr. Torres appearance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THE VETERANS VOLUNTEER TO SERVE,EVEN IF HALF OF THE US BUDGET IS FOR MILITARY EXPENDITURES IT DOES NOT MEAN IS FOR THE VETERANS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the old days, Mexicans settled things with chingasos. Today's Mexicans are weak. This guy looks like he's been to one too many fajita outings. Just saying.

    Jake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ron Lozano is a whaco from Harlingen. If Torres couldn't handle this hundred npound weakling he doesn't deserve to get elected.....and Lozano is a known Republican so the theory that he was a Lucio thug is ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Jake,

    So now we are "Mexicans"? What happened to all of us being Americans? So, as a "Mexican", Mr. Torres should have engaged the mentally disturbed Lozano in a bout of fisticuffs? Really?

    ReplyDelete
  7. PLEASE NOTICE THAT HE NEVER ANSWERED THE QUESTION HOW HE DIFFERS FROM EL3 POLICY WISE. THIS GUY IS CLUELESS. HE SHOULD HAVE RAN FOR CONGRESS. HIS BIGGEST ITEM ON HIS QUESTIONABLE PLATFORM IS VETERANS ADVOCACY. HONORABLE BUT IN THE WRONG RACE.

    ReplyDelete

𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗛𝗜𝗦𝗧𝗢𝗥𝗜𝗖 𝗧𝗘𝗫𝗔𝗦 𝗖𝗔𝗙𝗘 𝗔𝗡𝗗 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗪𝗢𝗥𝗞𝗦 𝗢𝗙 𝗔𝗥𝗧𝗜𝗦𝗧 𝗔𝗡𝗧𝗢𝗡𝗜𝗢 𝗖𝗜𝗦𝗡𝗘𝗥𝗢𝗦

  By Rene Torres One of the most recognized cafes in Brownsville for many years sat on the edge of the Market Square  business district.  Mo...