Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Duardo Paz-Martinez: It's "President Barack Obama. . Your Style Denigrates Him and You. . ."

Duardo Paz-Martinez
If you get the impression that this article is a refutation of a criticism, please reread it.  This blog receives valid and invalid criticism, none more appreciated than the occasional chastisements from Duardo Paz-Martinez, former writer for the Brownsville Herald, the Boston Globe and a published author.  

Personally, I'm not a true believer in credentials.  Either you can write or you cannot, speak with effectiveness or you cannot, communicate ideas clearly or you cannot.  I picked up this philosophy in 30 seconds when I was 14, trying to make a point with an older person.  I tried to enhance an argument by quoting a Harvard professor.  "And you think I'm impressed because a Harvard professor supposedly said that?"  asked the older, more experienced debater.  I never again used credentials, mine or anyone else's to enhance or add weight to an argument.

/D P-M took a bit of righteous umbrage to my simple phrasing in this paragraph of a story submitted December 16:  

"As Barack Obama spoke in Newtown, Connecticut today, he enunciated the first name of each of the twenty children mowed down. He spoke as a parent primarily, a president secondarily. Sandy Hook, he said, was the fourth mass killing at a school since he took office. He said this had to stop."

Please notice that I did not refer to the president as President Barack Obama, simply as Barack Obama.  I said that he spoke as "a parent."  Mr. Paz-Martinez found this disrespectful to the office, if not the man.  He seemed also to profile me as one who did not vote for Barack Obama, thus hinting that some sort of partisanship rooted my disrespect.(Actually, I've voted for him twice, although that's irrelevant.)

Here is /DP-M's exact comment to the blog article:


[As Barack Obama spoke in Newtown, Connecticut]

The proper manner to introduce this gentleman is "President Barack Obama," at least in first reference. He is the country's leader and, like it or not, you should be respectful to the office. More Americans voted for him than for the other guy. Your style denigrates him, and you...

/DP-M"

Mean Mister Brownsville
Disagreeing that my omission of the title "President" was disrespectful, I responded quickly, then a bit more thoughtfully:

bull shit. As I stated in the article, Barack was speaking as a parent, not a president. I gave him his due and continue to do so.

Jim

Lame Anonymous and /DP-M,
I'm not bound by the journalistic limitations of the Brownsville Herald or Boston Globe. I don't have to include the score in the headline or write in iambic pentameter. I do not write in the style of Duardo Paz-Martinez or Tad Hasse nor would I ever trade styles. I do permit grammar nazi Rey Guevara-Vasquez to pontificate about misspellings, grammatical errors he is able to catch, because with each correction he solidifies his role as a small-minded, insecure critic who cannot himself create written material of any interest.

My article portrayed Obama as more than a mere president, but as a parent of Malia Ann and Sasha who was appealing to the parents of twenty other young ones with compassion, empathy, feeling and genuineness. To trifle over my intentional omission of his title misses the entire thrust of my article. Obama is one of three recent presidents(Clinton and Reagan are the others), who in my opinion, possessed the skill of natural, heartfelt speech. That is one of my few personal skills, talking to a group of 70 or 70,000 in a natural, real way.

I write a silly, frivolous, inconsequential blog that in 18 months has received nearly a million pageviews. However, you interpret that, someone is reading the shit.

Jim"
Then, this evening, listening to Anderson Cooper's interview of Chris and Lynn McConnell, parents of Grace McConnell, 7, who was buried today in Newtown, CT., I realized my impression of Obama was not unique.  Here is an excerpt from a transcript of the CNN story:

Chris and Lynn McConnell
On Hearing Their Daughter
Grace Had Been Slain
"When asked what the experience of meeting the President was like, she said that when Mr Obama walked into the room, ‘he was just a dad.’ 

The couple spoke with the President briefly, and told him of their daughter's artistic talent. They also gave him one of Grace’s favorite pictures – a cerulean and lime-green painted owl. They said that the President told them that he’d treasure the painting forever."




That was my gut feeling too.  When writing the original story, I started to type "President", but stopped myself, because it didn't feel right.  It actually diminished Barack's role to one of obligation, part of his job description, fulfilling the oath of office, not some compassionate, human gesture with REAL feelings motivating him.  The McConnells picked up on that too.  

20 comments:

  1. This at the risk of fanning the flames: Of course, we all wish our president could be the National Dad, a public servant to call on when help is needed, a politician to serve the masses and not simply a sector of our ragged society. My point goes to respect, Jim. In our current political climate, with Republicans and Democrats at odds, some on the Right have taken to disrespecting the president as a way to denigrate his election, his leadership and his character. We have no royalty able to behead you on a whim. But what we do have is the ability to freely designate who will lead this country. We vote often enough to call ourselves a Democracy. The murder of children in Newton, Conn. offered the president an opportunity to show a bit of human emotion, a rarity in Washington, D.C. unless it's one partisan screaming, damning and criticizing another. You were right in noting the fatherly approach President Obama took to the mourning community. His last name is Obama, so you got that right, as well. However, adding his elected title would not have lessened the thought you opted to post. In fact, it would have added much to it, especially when you consider why he made the trip. Mr. Obama went to Newton because he is the nation's president at this trying moment. And I know you know that the residents of the little town welcomed him as the president first and, likely, a father, himself, secondarily. It is when you reduce someone to the point of calling him or her by their last name that you also paint yourself as someone unable or unwilling to grant them the humanity a higher power gave them. Calling Cameron County Judge Carlos Cascos merely by his last name says something, to those who hear it and to him. The judge may be a bad judge and he may be soiled or tainted or a general mess, but he is still the judge. I don't suggest that you call him "Honorable Judge Cascos," because we all know no one can bestow honor without merit. So, take my words as you wish. President Obama is what I would write in the first reference to him in any sort of story or Blog post. That is simply the expectation of the learned reader. Class exacts a heavy price, my friend. But it's in you to chase it, or to ignore it. Happy Christmas...

    /DP-M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FUCK YOU DPM!!!
      MACLOVIO O'MALLEY

      Delete
    2. Excellent. Wish I could say that myself. Thank you, sir.

      Delete
    3. Maclovio again? What purpose does he serve here, Jim? Blog Clown? Always with the sex act. Ah, Mexicans. Give them a taco, pussy and a free lb. of government cheese and they're happy. This o'Malley's brain is mush, likely from swallowing too much sperm. ORANGUTAN!!!!

      Delete
    4. JA JA JA JA JA JA! Ya hack! Maclovio, the Voice of The Babosos, has the record for passing the longest turd in Brownsville - 24 inches! Stop dissing this self-made celebrity, ya crazy guy!

      Rey

      Delete
    5. jim, why do you allow, excuse me, permit, this asshole to use a parade of fake names of people who want nothing to do with this guy who calls himself a writer of high caliber but has nothing better to do than to wake up to comment on brownsville blogs where no one, except you, give him the time of day. if he's such a hot shot what the fuck is he doing commenting in MMB. ill tell you why, he's fucking nuts!

      Yours truly,
      Tony Garza

      Delete
    6. Let's see: Jake/Ren/Ralphie/Ice Agent/and now TONY GARZA. Idiot!!!

      Delete
    7. I enjoy DP-M's commentaries. They are intelligent and not all emotional like this Tony garza wannabe. Fuera, MENSO!!!

      Delete
    8. wannabe? Tony Garza may very well be Tony Garza. Whether he wants to be Tony Garza is another question. If you enjoy /DP-M's comments, can your enjoyment not stand on its own without having to compare his comments to another's?

      J

      Delete
  2. You should show respect to everyone MP/D, not just "The President"...put that in your pipe and smoke it.

    Mescalero,..the fake one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh? You doped up again, Mes? Your comment makes no sense, Pachuco.

      Delete
  3. Sounds reasonable to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems like Mr. Paz-Martinez has forgotten that in this country speech is free and we can call Barack Obama about anything we want...as long as it isn't threatening and gets the Secret Service involved. To call his a "leader" as we near the economic cliff is worse than not using his position as "President". Since he won't go over the cliff with other Americans....he must not be out front.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, of course there is free speech, within reason. Are you dense, impaired? I hesitate in addressing your concern, 'cause something tells me the chicken fight you bring here is about something else altogether. The discussion went to "respect," me pushing for it and Jim Barton stating his case. Nothing more and nothing less on this one, lad. Like it or not, the "president" is the leader of this country, although leaders come in a variety of tiers. I suggest you also get a bit more educated on this current "fiscal cliff" conundrum. There is fault for this mess on both sides of the political aisle. Call this president whatever you want, but also know that it'll label you perhaps much quicker than it will him. I reel at the shallowness of arguments such as this one. Indeed, it is hard for me to reply to your note, as I fear it will merely send you farther down in your mental abyss. Buck up, son! Dare to engage your entire brain. Coming here with buzzwords you hear at the local Teabagger mind-washing won't cut it. What is "out front" for you - being at the head of the line at your neighborhood taqueria? Surely, you have no earthly idea what being "out front" in politics actually means. I'd bet on it, yes. As the clown Mitt Romney might say about here, "Ten-thousand bucks?"...

      /DP-M

      Delete
    2. b HUSSEIN( a terrorist name) obama is a two bid affirmative action, Marxists, baby killer, welfare recipient MANCHURIAN FOOD STAMP PRESIDENT who is using this tragic incident for political posture and further destroy our Constitution and take our 2nd Amendment rights. Every day hundreds of black children are being murdered in his own home town of Chicago, at every low income black community and had done NOTHING ABOUT IT. EVEN CORNEL WEST SAID: "COWARD' OBAMA DOESN'T CARE WHEN 'BLACK FOLK' GET SHOT, ONLY WHEN 'VANILLA" CHILDREN DO
      BTW the reason why he won he became BARACKCLAUSE for the LOW INFORMATION VOTERS!

      Delete
  5. [jim, why do you allow, excuse me, permit, this asshole to use a parade of fake names of people who want nothing to do with this guy who calls himself a writer of high caliber but has nothing better to do than to wake up to comment on brownsville blogs where no one, except you, give him the time of day. if he's such a hot shot what the fuck is he doing commenting in MMB. ill tell you why, he's fucking nuts! - Yours truly, Tony Garza]

    ...It's never wise to take-on a critic face-up when you don't know him, or when you're a few hundred miles away, but here goes: Lord and Valley blogging know that I have stuck my nose into a whole lot of places, Brownsville included. I have blogged about the border town for - what? - a dozen years, and in those same years I have generated enough critics to float a parade of Valley WhoKnowsWhats. So, this latest missive by Mssr. Garza arrives merely as only the latest. He characterizes me as an "asshole." Oh, boy. Right off the bat with the name-calling. He accuses me of submitting comments under a variety of names. If only! We all know Jake/Ren/Ralphie/Ice Agent/Maclovio O'Malley to be persons under their own skin, do we not? Mssr. Garza insists I call myself a "writer of high caliber." My question is: When? I merely comment. It is You, Garza, who assign the description, perhaps because you know good writing when you see it. Quien sabe? I am a writer with loads of credits; that is true. But I never come here and note it. Jim Barton has noted it, and so what? Tony G. insists only Barton's blog posts my comments, ignoring the Internet offering of my ally Dr. G.F. McHale-Scully, who will post my thoughts from time to time. In fact, I'm there today. Ho-hum. Mssr. Garza wonders why I bother with Brownsville and its doings. Like I said a few words ago, I have been doing it for more than 10 years. My latest book - THE WOMAN WHO KILLED ME - is set in a falling border town very much like Brownsville. Convict me of being intrigued by the border brain, but indulge me the freedom to do it. I have never described myself as being a "hot shot," something that crawled into Mr. Garza's brain for some reason only he knows. Lastly, I have said this before: I enjoy writing about the Mexican border as if writing from the moon. Trust me, lad, it is a unique perspective. This I know: there is soooooo-oh much humanity in Brownsville. The faces it alone astonish one. But I close with the words of the German poet Rilke, who wrote this when asked about why he persists in writing about this thing we call humanness, "...because truly being here is so much; because everything here apparently needs us, this fleeting world, which in some strange way keeps calling to us. Us, the most fleeting of all." Happy Christmas, Senor Garza. All I can know is my own time...

    /DP-M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a town where notary publics pass themselves as lawyers, bloggers are rock stars with groupies. Some days I put out the most mediocre of articles just to serve as mental plankton for the groupies in the Sea of Brownsville.

      Even if I respect little else, I must respect the food chain.

      J

      Delete
  6. Jimmy, I think Mr.Duardo Paz-Martinez makes his points very well, as does Rey Guevara-Vasquez. Using profanity and calling bloggers names does nothing but make people look dumb, continue writing guys.

    ReplyDelete
  7. (We all know Jake/Ren/Ralphie/Ice Agent/Maclovio O'Malley to be persons under their own skin, do we not?)

    Whoa! I feel, honored. But I still hate your faggot guts,though.
    Jake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You tell them Ralphie! Continue taking the high road and keeping it classy.

      Ren

      Delete